In the interest of getting the discussion going about what should be in the teacher’s toolbox to teach at a distance, here’s my list of the basic tools necessary for TEACHING online. Note that I don’t think every class needs to use all of these, but I think a teacher needs to know this stuff as a minimum in order to teach online.
- Email (including a Listserver)
- Discussion Boards
- Blog (mine)
- Aggregator (with my own feeds in it)
- File repository space
- Web server space
- Text chat
- Word processor
- Graphics software (like Photoshop or The GIMP)
- Spread sheet software
- Firefox web browser
- A broadband connection in the home
Tools that need to be removed from TEACHING toolboxes.
- Integrated gradebooks
- Lecture-ware like Elluminate, Centris, and the like
Discuss. What did I miss from the basic teacher toolbox? Do you agree with the three items I think should be removed?